On August 30 night and at dawn of 31, 1917, the uprising of Vietnamese soldiers in French army garrisoned in Thai Nguyen provincial capital led by comrade Doi Can and Luong Ngoc Quyen broke out. The uprising troops seized guardsman army camp, legation and prison … and declared independent Thai Nguyen, founded Restoration Army, named the nation Dai Hung and decided to make the flag with the yellow background and yellow five star, and determined to fight against the French colonialists to liberate the country. The Northern Governor and French commander – in chief in Indochina quickly mobilized troops to suppress the uprising troops. Facing a more crowded French army with artillery fire support, insurgent army had to withdraw troops from provincial capital on the noon of September 5, 1917 after 6 days of occupation. The troops continued their fighting in mountainous areas of Thai Nguyen, Vinh Yen and Bac Giang and the uprising ended in January, 1918 when the leader Doi Can committed suicide in Phao Son (Cu Van commune, Dai Tu district). Nowadays, such sites as Envoy’s Palace, guardsmen’s army camp, Thai Nguyen prison, Gia Sang defense line are recognized the
The place was formerly a large building with European architecture consisting of two floors and one basement that was constructed in 1896 – 1897 on a hill right in the center of provincial capital. This is the headquarters and residential place of French envoys in Thai Nguyen province including Darles envoy – the cruelest mandarin in the North at that time. During Thai Nguyen uprising in 1917, a group of insurgent troops occupied legation and then attacked the French troops in a death-braving spirit when they attacked for reoccupying of the provincial capital. The legation was destroyed at the start of Resistance war against French colonialists (1947) and it only has foundation, and footsteps in front of the legation. Nowadays, the legation is within boundary of Museum for cultures of Vietnam ethic groups.
Guardsmen army camp
The camp was the station of guardsman army camp, the most French important military posts in Thai Nguyen. Here, Doi Can had organized meeting for discussion of plan and launch of the uprising on the August 30 night
and at the dawn of 31, 1917, made decision for founding restoration army, flag sacrifice ceremony, released declaration of the uprising. This is also the place where general command committee of the uprising troops was located; place with fierce and bloody exchange fire between French troops and the insurgent armies; place where Luong Ngoc Quyen hero sacrificed. Site of Guardsman army camp is now in the southeast gate of Museum for cultures of Vietnam ethic groups, close to Doi Can street, Trung Vuong ward, Thai Nguyen city.
Thai Nguyen prison
Thai Nguyen prison was constructed during 1903 – 1904 by French. In 1917 in this place, many political prisoners joining the Yen The Uprising and Can Vuong movement were imprisoned. Luong Ngoc Quyen, a very important person in Restoration Association was also placed in solitary confinement here. On the August 30, 1917 night, Doi Can’s uprising troops killed Loew gaoler to set free prisoners including Luong Ngoc Quyen; most of prisoners voluntarily participated in the insurgent army. Thai Nguyen prison is now in the boundary of Trung Vuong primary school, between Nha Trang and Quyet Tien streets under Trung Vuong ward, Thai Nguyen city.
Gia Sang Defence line
Is a system of fortifications and combat dug by Doi Cans insurgent troops on 5 hills: Bau, Go Trai, Ba Cu, Tang Xe, Cu Lan that is 1.5km from guardsman army camp to the south. On September 2 and 3, 1917, insurgent troops commanded by Cai Manh and Vu Si Lap had fought fearlessly and droven back many enemies attacks, killed many enemy troops and sacrificed the last soldier at this defence line.
Doi Can temple
Doi Can temple (1881 – 1918) – a leader of Thai Nguyen uprising in 1917 is located on the hill within boundary of Thai Nguyen heroic martyr’s monument nearly at beginning of Phu Lieu street, Hoang Van Thu street. The temple is made of iron wood, roofed with nose-shaped tiles hiring in the large shade trees. At the beginning of step door, there is a large stele curving the heroic life and life-work of Doi Can hero. Right in front of the temple gate, Thai Nguyen local r++esidents had
erected a stele with extraction of Declaration of Thai Nguyen uprising in 1917.
- Thai Nguyen Museum
- VIET BAC MILITARY ZONE I ARMED FORCE MUSEUM
- Museum of Vietnamese ethnic group's culture
- ATK Dinh Hoa
- Historical Monument of Commemorative Martyrs Young Volunteers
- Tien Phong Commune relic complex
- Kha Son Commune relic complex
- Site For announcement of war invalids and martyr's day
- Relic of foundation of Thai Nguyen fist communist party
- Van – Vo mountains Relics